Friday 19 June 2015

"Talk Is Cheap" and Avocado Toast

This week has been a busy one. I feel like I say it every week. I spent over 3 hours in Starbucks yesterday, drawing sketches and uploading my new recording to SoundCloud. I'm in the process of exploring the opportunities I have to make music and I'm finally starting to use them more.

Slowly drifting into my world of dreams, I recorded my version of Chet Faker's "Talk Is Cheap". I've spent a lot of time in my life assuring myself that I'm not good enough to do something or that I just simply shouldn't do it because of some ethics, but not much later I discovered that this is not a path leading to achieving anything. So what is the theory behind all success? Fuck it. Simply and honestly fuck it. Do what you want to do and don't be scared. I'm not quite there yet, but I'm a few steps further than I was before I recorded it. The truth is nobody is going to bring you the opportunities and achievements and you have to work for them yourself. Is it so obvious? I guess I wouldn't have had to waste so much time on struggling to make decisions in life if it was. So here we are with today's moral of the story: work hard for what you want and don't stop because you think you're not enough. That's it.
I always feel like all those positive speeches sound extremely cliché and that they're full of unrealistic ideas, but when I think of it more I am able to see that it depends only on the way that I look at it and want to see it. And the way they're presented.
"10 ways to become a happier person" guides don't work, at least for me. It's like being told how to live by an anonymous creator of some tabloid-style website. What really works are our own experiences, aims and everyday's happenings. We don't usually wake up emotionally and mentally until something shocking or exciting happens. How many times have we heard the "change your way of thinking" advice and how many times has it affected us? For me it's easier to start with changing the way of working and doing things instead of the textbook "positive thinking" advice. As soon as you start to see benefits of your work, you gain hope and motivation. The way of thinking automatically changes. You pick up guitar playing, you practise, you stop, you lose it, you come back, you practise more, you see the benefits, you love it.

This week's healthy recipe is an avocado toast. I feel like I can't really call it a recipe, since all you have to do is put raw avocado on a toasted bread. Let's call it a recommendation.


I remember trying an avocado on bread for the first time about a year ago and I remember that I found it awful. I gave it another try this week and I'm so glad I did. Toasted bread, ripe avocado and some pepper. That's all you need.

No comments:

Post a Comment